Friday, September 17, 2004

Vegetable Stock

This is a basic staple in most vegetarian dishes, and is SO easy to make. It works much better than cubed bullion.

Ingredients

1 large bag of baby carrots (about 4 cups)
2 stalks of celery,chopped (that's stalks, not ribs. basically, use one standard bag of celery)
1-2 yellow onions, diced.
water

Directions

Add the vegetables to a large stock pot and fill 3/4 full with water. Boil until stock reaches a rich green-yellow tint - until water is reduced by about 1/2. Remove vegetables and store stock. It will refrigerate for about a week or freeze for months.

You can throw in any other veggies you have lying around and they'll add more flavor. I particularly like stems from asparagus and broccoli. I also find my favorite way to cook this is in a pot with a pasta insert. The veggies go in there and I can just pull out the pasta strainer when they're done.

I also do not salt my stock because I prefer to salt the dishes in which I use it. You can, of course, salt to taste.

No comments: